It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

TOD Form  ||   Your TOD  ||   Other's TOD  ||   NDG's TOD  ||   Member Stuff  ||   NDG Members  ||   NDG Member Costumes  ||   Command Staff Admin  ||   501st Legion Forum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:41 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

501st ID number: NA-6830
Home Garrison: Northern Darkness Garrison
The following is a great tutorial on body language while in armor that I feel is very important information essential for every troopers playbook while trooping.

Big thanks to TX-69901 ("Ruck") for bringing this to our attention!

Original topic written by TX-45000 ("Dizzy") on the 501st Special Operations Detachment forums.

Topic contents read as follows:

"You guys really love my tutorials. This topic should be called "how to move your sexy plastic bod so you don't traumatize little kids and freak old people the F out". But I digress.

It's come to my attention that troops are just standing around, literally. One does not simply wait in front of the backdrop for people to come up and take pictures, the only exception being if there's a large "circle" of people, meaning the crowd is moving like in an airport or a mall and they just want to snap a selfie and move along.

But in most cases your garrison/squad will have the booth set up in what I call an "open" photo op. This is where people are free to move about and there isn't a set route such as conventions. At my squad's cons, we're placed near the convention center entrance so we make a good opening impression, but away from the main vendors as not to "take away" from artists and shopkeepers. Sure people want the perfect picture of them with a few troopers or vader at the death star but it's important to keep in mind you aren't just a trooper. You are a mascot, a representative of the LEGION, not the empire. Remember the whole "bad guys doing good" motto? Troops are a group effort people, don't just stand around, interact!

With the baby-to-toddlers group, they don't know what you are or what you might do. I give a friendly "palm straight, fingers moving" wave, or a quick "hand twisting side to side" wave and tilt my head to appear nonthreatening in a cartoony way. Older kids between 6-10 who generally may know of star wars, might look at you unsure of if theyre supposed to go up to you or not. Often the parents will coax them into getting close for a picture. This part is imperative. Before they shy away (or run up in glee), bend over slightly and nod your head yes, or wave them "come on over" to let them know "I acknowledge you". I then will look down and put my palm out to say "I want you to stand here" and get into either standing or battle position towards the camera. It helps to be able to read the kids by their facial expressions. Theres the general omg a star wars guy grin, and theres the parent-forced smile. For single kids, if I deem them worthy, I might have them hold my blaster for the shot, with one hand on my belt and the other on the kids shoulder. This really impresses people and shudders away all thoughts of you being "a bad guy". I warn, don't do this for everyone, but when done 99% of them give you your blaster back immediately. The other 1% either don't know what to do next or just want to see the picture first.

For multiple-child shots, I always aim my blaster at the camera, this is because having it down you might not be able to see your actually aiming right at the dome of a little girl. You don't want to single anyone out. And again NEVER AIM YOUR BLASTER AT A CHILD.

For troops that have a no-blasters policy, just hold onto your belt with both hands like vader for multi-kid shots, or one hand on the child's shoulder with your other hand on your belt for single child shots.

For everyone else (ages 12 to 112) it's strictly professional, NOW you can just stand there and wait for the hotties to make their latest facebook picture. Occasionally from adults you may get odd requests. I was asked if a guy could hug me.. Anyway, perfect example: You might get "pretend you just captured me guy" which is a simple everyone aim blasters with his hands up, or if solo, I make him kneel, arms above his head, one hand on his shoulder, and blaster pointed to his head. There's a certain point where it's obvious if you're just blatantly aiming at everyone, but don't do that. The spectators or "next in line" people don't want to see repetition.

Here's some other helpful tips:

Never do anything you aren't comfortable with. Almost all people ASK you to get a picture out of human nature. They'll ask those odd things I mentioned too. That may include "can I kiss you" which has happened to a trooper who was single, and he specified "helmet on, or off?" But be careful with stuff like that.

Never let adults hold your blaster. Not because they could run off or drop it, but it just makes for a bad picture.

If you let a child hold your blaster, make sure they hold it properly before letting go. One or two have tried to hold it like a pistol then realize how heavy it is, before I let go I make sure there's two hands.

If said child drops your blaster, motion to them that's it's okay. Their first reaction will be "OH F**K" and seeing as how you're pretty much an angry god in their eyes, you don't want them to freak out. Hopefully them being so close to the ground your blaster wont be damaged but if that's the case, ask a handler to get the parts.

Dont take off your helmet unless you're in a private area, bathroom, or in back of the backdrop. Being helmetless is as bad as being naked. It takes the "real live stormtrooper" fantasy away.

After someone gets their picture with you, offer up a high five. It's the universal bro-fist. "

A good read! Post comments/concerns/additions below.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:05 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

501st ID number: TX-69901
Home Garrison: Northern darkness garrison
Thanks Caleb for your help, I feel this is a must read for new troopers and seasoned alike its great info!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 7:29 pm 
Garrison Guard
Garrison Guard

501st ID number: TB-76123
As a hopeful "soon to be" 501st scout, I found this info very interesting. Thanks for posting this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 10:17 am 
Garrison PRO
Garrison PRO

501st ID number: TB-12278
|: 501st Pathfinders
Great stuff here, for new recruits and veterans as well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:43 am 
Garrison GML
Garrison GML

501st ID number: TK-81419
|: Fire Team 500
This is very helpful as I prepare for my first troop. Since I'm only 18, I can remember being that awe filled kid and I will never forget the feeling I got while at Celebration 6 when a member dressed as commander Bly let me hold his blaster. That really made my day as a kid.