It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

TOD Form  ||   Your TOD  ||   Other's TOD  ||   NDG's TOD  ||   Member Stuff  ||   NDG Members  ||   NDG Member Costumes  ||   Command Staff Admin  ||   501st Legion Forum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:01 am 
Vice-Admiral
Vice-Admiral

501st ID number: DZ-9983
Home Garrison: Northern Darkness Garrison
Ok kids for awhile we have thrown around ideas of big props or set pieces that we want to build. I've always wanted to explore this, but alas the same two downers always come up.
Where are we going to store it?
Who is gonna pay for it?
I think those statements always kind of stifle the creative process, so let's do this. you have money and a place to put it. What do you wanna make?
Here are some of mine....
The Emperors Throne:
It would be small enough to easily disassemble and move. Plus it's an all around b.a. chair.
"You want this, don't you?"

Cantina booth:
It would be 2 chairs, a small table, and maybe a cloth back drop. Anyone could sit in this and make awesome happen. Plus Han would always shoot first.

Falcon cockpit:
This would be a control panel, 2 chairs, and a back panel. Basically when framed up you're sitting in the falcon next to your hairy best friend complaining cause the hyper drive won't work.
"Punch it chewie!"

All the the ideas involve fan an trooper interaction and could also be used to generate money for charity.
What would you guys build?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:03 am 
Admiral
Admiral

501st ID number: TK-10651
Home Garrison: Northern Darkness
|: First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment
Fire Team 500
I want to build a frozen Han.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:06 am 
Vice-Admiral
Vice-Admiral

That would be cool and very doable.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:32 am 
High Admiral
High Admiral

501st ID number: TI 1725
I've kinda put my R5 on the table as a group project.

"The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office." -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:53 am 
High Admiral
High Admiral

I would love to do a big project. We talked in the past about a float for the parade. However... I hate to be "that guy" but I would like to point out some points of interest.
1. Who would pay for it? Materials cost money.
2. If multiple people chip in to pay for materials. Who would be responsible for it or "own" If you will?
3. Who would decide who gets to use it?
4. Who would be responsible for storing and maintaining "it"?
5. If its huge... How will it get transported to be available for anyone to use?

I realize there are some obvious answers to some of these question but they should all be considered to make thing fair for everyone.
My R5... I will pay for everything and ownership will remain mine, I could just use some extra hands and help getting it done. So it really wouldn't fit the what we're talking about.
Anyway food for thought. Yes a big project would be most awesome but we have to be responsible and fair about it cuz things like this tend to cause issues.

"The supreme quality for leadership is unquestionably integrity. Without it, no real success is possible, no matter whether it is on a section gang, a football field, in an army, or in an office." -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:37 am 
Vice-Admiral
Vice-Admiral

This is more just about brain storming and less about the logistics of how to do it. Great things start with small ideas, but if you kill the thought process early on nothing will ever happen. You "have the money and the space" Tom. Now what would you do with it? How would you use the prop? What would it consist of?
Dream my prettys, dream... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:29 pm 
High Admiral
High Admiral

well as i said... a float for the parade. perhaps a Star Destroyer or a Jabbas sail barge or a jawa sandcrawler or a landspeeder... IDK just some ideas. I think it would be cool to build some imperial scanning crew boxes. those would be nice to store our gear in plain sight if we had to and also for carrying in our display stuff like the PVC poles for the back drop and my helmet stand. Just some thoughts...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:44 am 
Vice-Admiral
Vice-Admiral

A sail barge float would rock. With boba fett hanging off the back. Hehe! I've seen were a guy cut the body off an accord and made it into a landspeeder. It was totally street legal. That would be a fun way to do the parade. What about a couple of speeded bikes mounted on a trailer pulled behind it. I've always always wanted to build an HK-47. It would just be static posed but the head would be on a servo and move back and forth with lit eyes. With some motion activated sounds that would great near by meatbags. Lol.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:03 am 
Moff
Moff

501st ID number: TS-2817
Home Garrison: northern darkness garrison
Me and joel have been throwing this idea around for awhile

We thought cantina booth would be cool and easy.

I also have a 2 1/2 car garage available for storage.i imagine the display could be designed to disassemble to fit in the bed of a pickup

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:08 am 
Garrison MBO
Garrison MBO

501st ID number: BH-8404
If you guys can, I suggest coming out to the Joliet Library event and taking a look at the large set-ups they have out there. Last year, they had a Wampa, a full size and functional cantina bar and a huge shoot-a-trooper obsticle course. It was amazing!!!! Maybe seeing it done in person might help with the logistics of it all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:23 pm 
High Admiral
High Admiral

A cantina bar would make a sweet events table! would be be alot better than the usual 3'X5' table. couple that with a Booth... oh yeah... i like this idea!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:44 am 
501st Legion CO
501st Legion CO

501st ID number: TK-2390
|: Blizzard Force
RL Mos Espa
a deathstar hallway.... i have experience in doing this.. and it looks awesome... would be great.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:45 am 
High Admiral
High Admiral

heck yeah!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:58 pm 
Vice-Admiral
Vice-Admiral

Only if Tom me finish that mouse Droid body in his garage so it can scream and run away whenever it sees chrisbacca. ;)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:12 pm 
High Admiral
High Admiral

That thought crossed my mind. Ill need to rebuild it to scale it down a little, but im definatly down with that.