It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

TOD Form  ||   Your TOD  ||   Other's TOD  ||   NDG's TOD  ||   Member Stuff  ||   NDG Members  ||   NDG Member Costumes  ||   Command Staff Admin  ||   501st Legion Forum

Post subject: Interested in Joining
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:40 pm 
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

Home Garrison: None
My wife and I are interested in becoming a part of the...family :-D (after meeting many of you recently).

So now what? Where do we begin? What do we need to do?

She is the Engineer :-) and would also be a great handler.

I'm the one who would get dressed up.

This is what I know...

We are super busy, have five kids, work, etc. So we need to know what we are getting into, time -- money -- commitment -- etc.

Thanks!

~MahmaBear, aka Nerissa

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 6:42 am 
Moff
Moff

501st ID number: TS-2817
Home Garrison: northern darkness garrison
welcome! cost depends greatly on what character you are interested in doing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:01 am 
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

I'm leaning toward Zam. I have a leather worker willing to help me with the hard stuff, would need to figure out the helmet...I have to be careful about covering my face and Zam seemed like a good option, although in the end I think she is gonna cost me a small fortune. Wish I had thought this through a bit more during hunting season...would have shot my own deer for the leather. LOL

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:55 am 
Admiral
Admiral

501st ID number: TK-10651
Home Garrison: Northern Darkness
|: First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment
Fire Team 500
Nerissa,

Welcome.. Chris is right, it absolutely depends on the character you want to build. The more detail, parts, and time it takes, the more it is going to cost. Some costumes are less expensive (tusken raiders), and some are very expensive (Vader, Boba Fett). Stormtroopers are somewhere in the middle. I would imagine that the price tag on Zam will highly depend on how much you can sew and put together yourself, versus how much you want to buy "ready to wear". There is a whole section of The Dented Helmet forum dedicated to this costume. If you haven't been there and registered yet, I would highly recommend it.

http://www.thedentedhelmet.com/forum.php

Steve

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:09 am 
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

I am rather handy with the needle and thread. Working with Ethan on the leather will help quite a bit, just have to find the hide. The helmet is of concern and the dying of the leather. I was reading the threads on Zam, looks like she is a lot of work. Hope its not too much a beginner. I hope to make most of the items myself and only purchase that which I truly cannot make (helmet, gun, etc.)

My issues with characters like tusken raiders is the covering the whole face. Just can't do it. >.< Otherwise I would likely start somewhere a lot easier and less expensive.

As I am sure this is going to take me some time to develop and create, what should I be doing now to get involved?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 9:18 am 
Admiral
Admiral

501st ID number: TK-10651
|: First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment
Fire Team 500
If you mean involved in the Garrison, just come to events! We can always use people to help with crowd control, giving out brochures and cards, and assisting some of us into getting in our costumes. Those people are called "handlers". You don't have to be a member to come out and have fun with us!! Check out the Events board and see what's coming up and come out!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:54 pm 
Moff
Moff

yes! we can always use handlers at events.This would also give you a first hand experience on what all a "troop"(what we call events) entail.as in getting dressed,crowds,games,etc.
I have on occassion perused the Zam threads and there are people who make the "hard parts"(helmets,"ovaries",etc) As Steve said,and I found this out by doing Jango Fett,that bounty hunters can be costly and not all parts are readily available.People who make things often do what are called "runs".They will post an interest thread on who is interested so they can see if it is cost effective to make several copies.Then it's first -come,first-serve.Some runs can be a long wait too.Check out the "cargo hold" on the Dented Helmet...that is where you will find zam pieces readily available or interest threads posted.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:54 pm 
Moff
Moff

another option if you don't want to cover your face would be an Imperial Officer.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:01 pm 
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

that would be pretty inexpensive too, Andrew pointed that out last night :) Maybe I need to do that while I build the other.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:04 pm 
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

501st ID number: IC-7933
|: Republic Service Organization
my first costume was an Imperial Crewman, which can be done relatively inexpensively, and leaves your face uncovered.

Zam is a cool costume.. there are some pieces that are difficult to find, such as the boots and the material used to make the jumpsuit, but there are great resources out there (the dented helmet). let us know if we can help you!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 1:28 pm 
Garrison PRO
Garrison PRO

501st ID number: SL-1343
Welcome! Keep your eyes out for Armor Days...those are some great times and have lots of great information you can pick up.

Northern Darkness Garrison

"No shirt, no shoes, no Sheldon!"

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 5:23 pm 
Moff
Moff

We love progress pics too