It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

TOD Form  ||   Your TOD  ||   Other's TOD  ||   NDG's TOD  ||   Member Stuff  ||   NDG Members  ||   NDG Member Costumes  ||   Command Staff Admin  ||   501st Legion Forum

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:13 pm 
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

Home Garrison: No Garrison Affiliation
Hey, I'm Anna, F, 21 from Fort Wayne and I've always wanted to join the 501st, but have no idea where to start.

(Ideally, I'd love to be a Jedi, but I don't think I can do that, can I? Isn't this just imperial stuff? I do see you guys have a clone or two I believe, and that's my second choice, but I'd be completely content with a classic stormtrooper, so let's just start with that)

I've been looking everywhere for how to make/buy armor and can't find any definitive answers. I'm 5'3" and ~125lbs so a little short for a stormtrooper. :lol:

I'm so lost and frustrated :? help!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:57 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

501st ID number: NA-6830
Home Garrison: Northern Darkness Garrison
Welcome Anna!

The 501st Is primarily the "Bad Guys Doing Good", and Jedi are mostly seen costumed with the Rebel Legion. We have a Jedi here in Fort Wayne who troops with us regularly however :)

If you haven't yet, join the "First Imperial Stormtrooper Detachment" forums as well. That's the home for all Legion members who specifically have Stormtrooper costumes. There's a plethora of research and resources on those forums, for armor, build tutorials, etc. Link: http://www.whitearmor.net/

I'm here in Fort Wayne too, and there are quite a few members here in town. Whenever we have meetups, be sure to stop by and say hi! We can start helping you get a better understanding of how all this crazy plastic spaceman stuff works 8-)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:51 pm 
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

Could I be a clone though? I saw that detachment on the 501st site. I'm really interested in that although, pending armor sizes since I'm so small, I might have to go with the good old stormie.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:14 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

annaoze wrote:
Could I be a clone though? I saw that detachment on the 501st site. I'm really interested in that although, pending armor sizes since I'm so small, I might have to go with the good old stormie.

The clones are a few of the costumes that branch between both clubs, as they're seen in the movies as both good guys and bad guys at different times. The Clone Trooper Detachment is definitely a major part of the 501st as well. We have I think just one clone in the garrison right now, so there's always room for more! But there's always room for more stormies too. At the end of the day, it has to be a costume that you're comfortable with researching, working on, and ultimately wearing. The clone can be a little more work than a stormtrooper, but in ways it can be more rewarding.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:15 pm 
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

Either way its going to be hard getting my size haha!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:21 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

annaoze wrote:
Either way its going to be hard getting my size haha!

Something to keep in mind is that most armor makers (clones and stormies alike) have a maximum size person their armor will fit. It's up to the person who get's their kit to trim it down to fit properly. So getting "your size" won't be difficult at all! Just figure out what maker you want to go through, get their kit, and trim it down to fit you. If you're smaller you may have some extra trimming to do, but that's fine. If done right it'll still turn out looking awesome, and fans will still know exactly what you are at events :D

I could help more if you were going with a stormtrooper (that's the costume I know the most about), but I can't help much with the clone. I'll still do what I can to help out though, and there are plenty of other members here in Fort Wayne that are ready and willing to help as well!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:22 pm 
Garrison Guard
Garrison Guard

501st ID number: TS-12127
I'm not personally familiar with the clone armor, but downsizing is generally possible. A trim here, an adjustment there... eventually it fits! Have you asked on the Clonetroopers detachment if anyone's sized a clone to something close to your fit?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:23 pm 
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

I've seen people say so, but idk where even to buy right now. The one I'm looking at, I'm waiting for a reply from him

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:26 pm 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

annaoze wrote:
I've seen people say so, but idk where even to buy right now. The one I'm looking at, I'm waiting for a reply from him

Who did you email? Are you talking about clone or stormie armor?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 5:12 am 
Garrison MBO
Garrison MBO

501st ID number: BH-8404
Home Garrison: Northern Darkness
Welcome Anna!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:14 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

501st ID number: TX-69901
Home Garrison: Northern darkness garrison
Welcome Anna, this is all very confusing for new recruits, we all were there at one time. The trick is to use our knowledge, ask as many questions as you can and you choose for yourself what you want to do. We all have our own favorites, most of our members have multiple costumes. Most armored costumes have very limited movement and are very warm in the summer, the soft costumes like imperial officers and tie pilot reserve are nice cause they are cooler and don't constrict movement. That is something to consider whan looking for a costume. Just remember in the end you will be wearing it not us so pick something you'll love and we'll help you from there!!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:23 pm 
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

emile1138 wrote:
annaoze wrote:

Who did you email? Are you talking about clone or stormie armor?

The first problem is that I can't decide! Haha. Im ruling out anything that would require sewing on my part like an imperial officer or something. I'm talking to Kev (kwdesigns) on the clone forums and he has some animated armor that I'd probably swim in, although I'm in love with the animated clones. But he does have some approved stormie armor called FemTK that I'm considering. It'd fit me better and would probably be easier for my first build, but on the other hand its almost too feminine and clones are my fave. Hmm.

His reviews are nothing short of phenomenal and I really can't find anyone else out there constantly churning out kits. Or making ROTS clone armor. It's a lot of indecision in terms of what fits me, what looks good, and what characters I like/who will people recognize (like rex)

Ahh![FEARFUL FACE]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:14 am 
Grand Admiral
Grand Admiral

annaoze wrote:
...although I'm in love with the animated clones.

Sounds like you already know what you should go with then! I wouldn't worry about anything other than doing a costume you love.

annaoze wrote:
But he does have some approved stormie armor called FemTK that I'm considering.

I've seen them. They're not everyone's cup-o-tea, but some people like the look of them. Personally I think there's no need for a "feminized" version of TK armor, and women should be allowed to feel comfortable wearing the same armor everyone else has. But at the same time, I've seen plenty of women and even a few men successfully trimming and wearing that female TK armor before and pulling it off fine, so idk.

I'd go clone. Specifically animated clone. It seems like that's what you'd be happiest with!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:39 am 
High Admiral
High Admiral

501st ID number: SL-2374
|: Sith Lord Detachment
Flagship Eclipse
Welcome!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:44 pm 
Imperial Cadet
Imperial Cadet

I'm going to. I only considered the fem one for size reasons.

And thanks!